Thursday, August 30, 2012

Throwing In The Towel



Ok, so here's something I bet you never really thought about. I know I never did until it was time...

The Back Story:
I moved into the house I currently live in about 11 years ago. When you move into a new house, the operative word being NEW, you buy  lots of NEW things for the NEW house. NEW towels for my bathroom being one of them. Flash forward ten years later: said NEW towels are no longer NEW, in fact they are looking pretty tired and OLD. Throughout the years they became less soft, stained with bleach stains, and here's the straw that broke the camel's back, they shrunk. I know they shrunk because you see that decorative band on the towels pictured above? It is now shrunken tight so that my towels look like they have ruffles on either ends. Accordion pleats on bathroom towels?  Not good, or good looking. It was then that I knew it was time.

I guess 10 years is a pretty good life span for a towel, but they were becoming an embarrassment, to me especially. So what to do and where to buy? Should I go to an off price store like TJMaxx, be a Maxxionista and buy a cheaper brand? Or should I go to a fine department store and invest in a better quality cotton that supposedly will last a lifetime.

Guess what I did?

Invest being the operative word here, because we got suckered into the "better" brand. Good news is, I LOVE my new towels. They are plush and gorgeous and they all match and when I reach for a new towel  form the neatly folded pile in my linen closet, it makes me smile. We got matching hand towels and face cloths (does anybody really use these any more?) and I'm ready to start enjoying them for the next twenty years. Bad news is they cost around $500.00.

Are we crazy or smart? I'll let you know in ten years.

While I pondered the question in my head, what came to mind immediately was this:with all the problems in the world; starvation, global economics, devastation and plague, am I really wasting my energy worrying about my bathroom towels and how much I paid for them and how long they will last.? I'd be better served to just shut the old pie hole.

I'm going to thank God for making my life simple. On this topic, I'm throwing in the proverbial towel.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

In your house, with the towels being THAT old, I can only imagine how much jizz was wiped up with them. Next time, I'm bringing my OWN damn towels. Damn Candy, just damn.

Heff said...

I think ya did aight. Hell, every time I walk out of the house these days it costs me a hundred dollars.....

Scope said...

There are some towels floating around here that are the ones I got at my high school graduation for taking to college. They aren't used as bath towels, per se anymore, but they still get used.

And when I need towels, it's time for Bed Bath & Beyond with my 20% off coupon, and I'm getting a bath sheet. Cuz that's how I roll.

the walking man said...

What no dollar stores there? We only use the finest ghetto cotton to make dollar store towels: dryer lint.