Friday, August 24, 2012

So This Is Really It.


This is it.

Her time has come. It's time to leave the big nest and fly. Fly she will, of that I have no doubt. It's me I'm worried about. How am I ever going to get through this? I'm gonna miss her so much it already hurts like crazy. What will I do without my baby girl?

Truth is, I'll be fine. I did the exact same thing that she is doing this weekend 28 years ago and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life. Part of me is jumping up and down for her in excitement, and part of me is dying inside. She's going to be great. She's going to thrive. She's going to fall in love with her city. HER city, because that's what it is now. And I've never been more confident that she's going to be EXACTLY where she belongs.

The pride is swelling up in my throat, right next to the lump that is omni-present these last days. I know I have to let her fly free. But part of her is holding back too, and I wonder if she's picking up on what I'm feeling. Part of her is scared and part of her does not want to go. But we both know that this is good for all of us. This is what growing up is all about. This is what all that hard work was for. One look at her and I know I've done good. She's awesome, and I couldn't be more proud of who she has become. Keep her safe New York city. She's my whole world.

So, I'm embarking on this journey with her today and because I'm a helicopter hover-er, I'm staying  in the city until Monday. I will not be returning to the bloggersphere until Tuesday, August 28, 2012.

She's going to be great.
I'm going to be a mess.

I'm going to try to play it cool in front of her because this isn't about me.
God grant me the strength to get through.

"Children have to be educated, but they have also to be left to educate themselves."-Ernest Dimnet

6 comments:

Cora said...

*sniff* I.... I have something in my eye.

SkylersDad said...

best wishes to you both!

Heff said...

My kid went to Army basic training for 2 & 1/2 months this summer. How did Heff handle it ?

Heff and Donna PARTIED NAKED FOR 10 WEEKS.

Do the same, and you'll be FINE.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I was so awestruk by your eyes that I camped out in your throat. *sniff* I love you Candice.

Slyde said...

oh gosh... reading this makes me think of the day when mini-me will leave for college... i'm not lieing when i say i dont think i will be able to handle it.

And hey, your in NYC! stop by and visit. Hopefully you arent getting waylayed today with the horrible events that happened a few hours ago at the empire state building...

Scope said...

I want to know any tips or tricks your husband uses to support you through this. For in about 3 years, Cora is going to be in the same boat you're in now.