Monday, August 13, 2012

Cougar Or Kitten?



Is it wrong for a 22 year old to be in a romantic relationship with an 18 year old? Think about that for a moment.

Country music sweetheart Taylor Swift is 22 years old and already a major music and Hollywood player. Flushed with success and cash, in an industry that holds all the major cards, Miss Taylor got the keys to the executive washroom a long time ago. Taylor has, since the age of 19, been succeeding at a very grown up game.

Then there's Conor Kennedy. Conor, the son of Robert Kennedy Jr. and the late Mary Kennedy, is 18 years old. Handsome and privileged. Conor is a Kennedy. He's also the grandson of RFK which puts him in Kennedy bloodlines, number two or three on the impressive scale. Conor is certainly no slouch in the fame game and one may argue that these two are on equal  ground when it comes to pedigree. He's also an heir to the Kennedy fortune. If the Kennedy fortune is not a myth, Conor should have no problem keeping up with the Swifts.

So if she's 22 and he's 18, why is it that I can't wrap my brain around this one?

It just seems wrong, yet it shouldn't. I mean a four year age difference is no big deal. Really, they are both kids in my eyes, but I know the difference between an 18 year old and a 22 year old is far more than a mere 4 years. I have an 18 year old in my house, (18 years old TODAY. Happy BDay Frick!) and I know exactly what she's up to. I can tell you unequivocally that she's not taking meetings with music moguls or taking to her money managers about her investments, or buying $4.9 million dollar,  Hyannisport, waterfront mansions to be close to her new boyfriend. No, she's giggling with her girlfriends and doing things that I don't want to know about and getting ready for college.

Conor is still in high school, as he has one more year left at Deerfield Academy, and no matter who he is, he's not doing the same things that 22 year old Taylor is doing. Of that, I have got to be certain.

So maybe it's a harmless summer crush. Maybe not. Rumors abound, buying a $4.9 million dollar piece of property, just to be close to your man, er um, boy, seems like more than a crush. And somehow, Taylor seems the tragic figure in all this. Like the handwriting is scratched in neon on the wall.

This cougar just may be the one who gets bitten.

7 comments:

the walking man said...

Happy Birthday Frick, hope the day is the best of the year just passed and the worst one of the year ahead!


The rest *shrug* That stuff is so far outside of my perimeter, Swift Kennedy. None of my business. I just hope the property was bought at today's market value and not just at that price because she could afford it.

Candy's daily Dandy said...

walking man- the property has been on the market since 2010, when it was listed originally at $13.5 million.

SkylersDad said...

4 years apart at that age is a big deal. I see problems coming...

MarkD60 said...

Happy Birthday Frick!
I got no comment, opinion, nor do I care.

Heff said...

The fact that he's a KENNEDY spells impending DOOM all by itself.

Scope said...

Didn't care until you said he was still in high school. (And that it's not my daughter.)

Back in college I was 21 and dated some 18 year olds.

On a side note, 18 is a very "liberating" age, and I can't wait.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

That Kennedy kid has a terrific head of hair.