Thursday, July 29, 2010

Divine Intervention

So I was at my store the other day and one of my favorite customers and I were having a chat. We were talking about marriage and spouses and such, seeing as I'm heading down that path again in just 5 short weeks. We talked about longevity and commitment and how marriage is work. I was telling her that my mom has been complaining that she is really frustrated with my dad lately, for one reason or another. My customer then relayed this story to me, which I found to be quite amusing, indeed. I then, immediately relayed the story to my mom. True or not, this is one I will remember.

She told me that she had seen an interview with the Rev Billy Graham and that she always calls it to mind when she is feeling less than amorous with her spouse. She said it gives her peace.
The story goes like this:

The Reverend was asked by the interviewer if the Lord had ever spoken to him directly. The Reverend response was, "Only once." He went on to say that he had been arguing with his wife one day and while shaving his face alone in the bathroom, still stewing over the specifics of their argument, the Lord spoke to him and said, "You're no bargain, either."

I couldn't help but think it was genius.

Whether or not the higher power actually intervened and spoke those words of truth to the Reverend is completely irrelevant to the point, which is, so true.

"You're no bargain, either"

Damn, ain't that the truth.
This is not an endorsement of the Reverends teachings, or a religious or political agenda advancement. It's just a simple take on that age-old commitment of marriage.

It sure puts things into perspective doesn't it?

10 comments:

The Dental Maven said...

Unfortunately, I oft remind myself that not only am I not a bargain, I'm downright expensive.

5 weeks Girl!!!!

Scope said...

The differnece between "bargin" and "value" is VERY CLEAR sometimes. :-)

Mrs. Hall said...

I really and truly believe a healthy and thriving marriage begins with each partner getting their act together. They must be healthy, loving, giving and mature.

They should have developed a life not beholden to drugs or alcohol, not weighed down by petty, mean or histronic ways of communicating.

And once they have both developed the ability to give love, to care and respond, to be awesome for each other, then they can make a commitment to each other.

And that's when the magic begins. And OOOOHHHH CANDY!!! The magic of being a misses, being a misses who deserves such a woman such as you, to be married to such a guy, it's so awesome.

so happy for you!!!

five weeks!!

AWESOME!!

RW said...

I'm downright cheap.

Anonymous said...

That's a good one. I'll have to remember that.

Heff said...

I'm a downright RIPOFF.

Doc said...

Im no bargin... Im a handful!

Scott Oglesby said...

I think that the biggest moral to that wonderful tale is to learn to step outside the incessant chatter of your own brain and consider other peoples viewpoints. Great advice no matter which way you look at it because none of us are a bargain in the long run.

SkylersDad said...

However, I was pulled from the bargain bin, so she knew what she was getting.

the walking man said...

But I am a bargain...I came cheap and easy. 27 years ago.

If thirty years from now you;re walking down the street still holding the same hand as you will be 5 weeks from now then no matter what bullshit arguments happen in between now and then will have been worth it.