Friday, March 16, 2012

Hi I'm Jackie's Packie. We Sell Ciggies and Beer






St. Patrick's day is a big deal in this city. Boston, home of the liberal, Irish Catholic political hack, the St. Patrick's day breakfast in South Boston is legendary. It's an opportunity for partisan politics to poke fun; a roast, so to speak, for political allies and foes.




The city also hosts one of the biggest St Patrick's Day parades in the country in the heart of Irish Catholic Boston, SOUTHIE. Growing up, it was a rite of passage, attending the parade. For me it was always exactly for what it was meant to be for-getting completely hammered and checking out cute Southie boys. A true celebratory "wearin' of the green".






I post his today in honor of that Boston tradition. It's my favorite installment of the Housewives franchise, The Real Housewives of South Boston. While this one is not as funny as the first one, (in fact it's kind of crass) I can't quite say that this one is too far off the mark. While I did not grow up in South Boston, I knew plenty of people who did and I'll venture to guess that after seeing this, they wouldn't own up to spending a few St Paddy's day parade day's this way.






Happy St. Paddy's Bloggers! Keep your Irish up!



9 comments:

MarkD60 said...

I thought St Pats day was always a Tuesday.

the walking man said...

I am so glad Joann is Italian and I don't look good in green, even though my granny was pure Casey. But yeah at least the Sothies drive like they live in Detroit.

I wonder what the Real Housewives of Detroit would be like? Probably four or five very large women constantly calling the cops on their man because he wouldn't give them what they asked for. You ya gotta pace yourself a wife and two girlfriends takes a lot out of a dude.

Heff said...

I tell ya - The Real Housewives are just EASY COMIC FODDER for ANYONE to jump on board. Jimmy Fallon is even doing skits about 'em.

Deech said...

This is AWESOME! And yeah, even though I was born in Cuba, I celebrate St. Pattys. Why? Because I am from the Irish section of Cuba...you know...the Drinking section...

Anonymous said...

Savannah Ga. throws a helluva St. Patty's parade and street party. Hundreds of thousands strong. I don't drink beer.

Heff said...

"BamaTrav doesn't ALWAYS drink beer, but when he DOES, he prefers Dos Equis....Stay thirsty, My Candy"...

Anonymous said...

AND...when I do, I prefer to pour it on Candy and....well, you know.

Jim said...

Wickid funny . . . I think thu Jig Awf is my favrit paht :-)

XO

Scope said...

The girls are going down to see the dying of the river (they make it a TOTALLY different color green than usual) and do some people watching.

Me, I'll be down there, too, but working in my office from 7:30 - Noon:30 or so. :-(