Thursday, March 1, 2012

Dreamy Davey Jones

Aw crap, we lost another one that made me wistfully sad to see 'em go. I felt that way when I heard about Davey.


I used to worship The Monkees. I watched that show faithfully everyday on Channel 56. I remember it was wedged somewhere between the Banana Splits and the Brady Bunch and I never missed it. Mike, Mickey, Peter and Davey were the dreamy foursome that captured the hearts and the imaginations of generations of kids. What's funny is that I was just born when the Monkees TV show originally aired and was just 2 when it ended. Thanks to the magic of syndication, a whole new generation of kids like me were able to watch and enjoy The Monkees.



And Davey? He was my favorite. He had those teen heartthrob looks and a killer smile all wrapped up in a pint size package with an adorable British accent. I had more that a few pictures of Davey on my bedroom wall. The Monkees will always hold the best of memories for me.



The group was criticized for being a band formed around a TV show and for not having the chops of a group that had been together for years. What did they know? 45 years later their music still stands and plays on major radio stations around the country and when Diane Sawyer reads your obituary on World News Tonite, I guess you can say you did something right.



At 66, Davey was taken much too young, but somewhere up in heaven today there are a few more Daydream Believers than there were yesterday.


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you also watch the Banana Splits?

Jim said...

Was it The Monkees who got chased by those people in the skeleton outfits (on "Skull Island?"), or was that the Banana Splits?

I heard on the Today Show this morning that he was in "Oliver" on Broadway . . . which made me think of the British kid on HR Puffinstuff who played the older kid thief in the movie version of that.

Much better Saturday morning tv, back in those days :-(

XO

Lil' Nigglet said...

Cocaine is a hell of a drug....

Anonymous said...

I guess if I read your um....post, I would have seen where you watched the Banana Splits. Let me ask this one then, did you ever watch Johnny Quest?

Heff said...

I've never even HEARD of the Banana Splits.

Damn, you people are O.L.D.

The Dental Maven said...

The Mave loved her some Davey. Lucky for him is was a rapid exit. So sad.

Anonymous said...

Heff, you've heard of them, remember the one with the HUGE tits that you used to beat off to? Or was that Bugs in drag?

Anonymous said...

I mourn him more than Whitney. :o(

Anonymous said...

I have "tagged" you over at my blog. Come by to play and see the rules. :D

Scope said...

Joshua said what I've been thinking.

I played a good chunk of my Monkees Greatest Hits CD last night. (Had to skip 'Gonna Buy Me A Dog' because the daughter REALLY wants a dog, bad.)

the walking man said...

I will admit that I watched them in their original run, but not as religiously as you Candace. And I will also admit their episodes to me made much more sense than the Beatles move A hard days Night.


Hell Bama you know HEFF beat off to the TV all the time even when it was just a test signal or brken.

Deech said...

The Monkees were a staple at my house. Watched them religiously. Then to find out that musical creative genius behind them was Don Kirschner.

Anonymous said...

Walking man - :D He still does.

Bob the Water Cat said...

What number is this, Chip?
7A !!!