Thursday, September 4, 2014

Say It Ain't So




Around these parts Wes Welker is still beloved.

I'd be hard pressed to find a Patriots fan who didn't wince when they see Wes Welker suited up in his Denver Broncos uniform. Top that off with the fact that he catches the passes of My Tommy's nemesis-Payton Manning and the pits in our collective stomach's are verging on an ulcer. Mr Welker deservedly remains beloved in New England because he was ours and we loved him for it.

That's exactly why we are left scratching out heads from this latest Wes Welker development.


In case you missed it: Wes Welker has been suspended for 4 games for violating the league's policy on performance enhancing drugs. Evidently it was reported that Welker tested positive for ecstasy laced with amphetamine that he reportedly took during his trip to the Kentucky Derby. Drugs? At the Kentucky Derby? Wes Welker? Really?? I'm not so sure.

In an email to the Denver Post Welker wrote:
"I'm as shocked as everyone at todays news," Welker said in an e-mail to The Denver Post. "I want to make one thing abundantly clear: I would NEVER knowingly take a substance to gain a competitive advantage in any way. Anyone who has ever played a down with me, lifted a weight with me, even eaten a meal with me, knows that I focus purely on what I put in my body and on the hard work I put in year round to perform at the highest levels year-in and year-out"

And I believe him, but how does this happen?

Reportedly Welker is furious over reports that he took a Molly when attending the Kentucky Derby this past May.  He is said to be wondering if someone put a Molly into his drink.

“I wouldn't have any idea where to get a Molly or what a Molly is,” Welker said. “That's a joke. I don't do marijuana, I don't do drugs. I don't do any drugs.”

History in New England has shown that Welker has never had any previous problems with drugs, but I think someone slipping him a Mickey or a Molly is pretty suspect. We are all human. Welker is no exception and humans make mistakes. Somewhere between all this speculation and the official statements to the press remains the truth.

And to be quite honest if he did take the drugs....it's none of my business. The NFL feels quite the opposite.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!.....Just Wow! I am totally shocked!

MarkD60 said...

No doper ever got a positive who didn't dope. All the dopers who get positives say they didn't and don't know how it happened.

Scope said...

At least he's not like those two idiots in Pittsburgh. "I didn't know I could get a DUI from smoking weed."