Thursday, September 11, 2014

My Cup Runneth Over


Sorry fellas, but this is a rant about BRAS, and damn if I'm not in the middle of a mid-life bra crisis. I'd like to start by saying that I've learned a thing or two in the years that I have been wearing a bra about the sizing of a woman's bra. The first and most important thing being:

  • The bra size you were in your twenties is not-I repeat-NOT the size you are in your forties. 
Now this is a very tricky statement, because your bra size, or your boob size changes throughout the course of your life so many times that it's way too numerous to keep track of. So to accommodate, we buy new bras in new sizes. We know that breast size fluctuates due to:

  • Pregnancy
  • Hormonal changes-which occur monthly
  • Weight fluctuations
  • Human body growth
These are a given, and in my lifetime I have experienced all of these more than once. Hence the 6,000 different sizes of bras that reside in my lingerie drawer. I have lace bras, sports bras, under wire bras, strapless bras, colored bras, seamless bras, padded bras, push up bras and so on. But at the moment I have NO bras-not one- that fit well. When did this happen to me? I noticed mid-summer that the bras that I own were either old, too small or too big, but none were just right. So what did I do? I went to my local dept store and bought some new bras. Judging by my old bras I determined that I needed a larger cup size and a larger back size. Seems logical enough right? 

Wrong...I bought 4 new bras in the new size. Of the 4 bras, one of them is passing for a some what comfortable fit, although my cup runneth over..I then went to TJ Maxx figuring I could buy some cheaper bras in all sizes that I thought might fit me and return the ones I didn't need. This was the WORST idea ever, because now I am so confused as to what size I am that seriously considering burning all my bras this weekend.

Frustrated as hell by this I took to the World Wide Web and punched into the Google Search bar, "proper bra sizing". I found a formula that looks something like this:


  1. For Band Size: Using a tape measure and wearing a bra without padding measure low on your back at your bras band level lifting it higher as it comes around your body. 
  2. For Bust Size: Measure around the fullest part of your chest (at nipple level)
  3. Subtract your Band Size (step 1) from your bust size (step 2)
If the difference is:

    0, your cup size is AA
    1, your cup size is A
    2, your cup size is B
    3, your cup size is C
    4, your cup size is D
    5, your cup size is DD, etc.
I hope this is accurate because it's getting very expensive, and very uncomfortable. 

2 comments:

Kara said...

I'm smaller now than I was pre-kid. Of course, I went and got professionally sized, dropped $150 on bras, and then managed to lose 45 pounds, half of which came out of my breasts. No bras that I own fit right. it's so frustrating.

Scope said...

Pictures or it didn't happen. :-)