Monday, December 9, 2013

You Go Girl


So I'm sounding off today. Being the mother of a trained actor I have a few notes on Carrie Underwood's performance of the television event last week of the beloved "Sound of Music" and her performance as the lead Maria Von Trapp.

First thing's first:


  • Underwood's vocal performance was amazing! Being on stage live with Broadway veterans like Audra McDonald and Christian Borle couldn't have been easy for her yet vocally, I think she held her own and did a great job with the music.
  • Stephen Moyer was dull and uninteresting and there was no chemistry between the Captain and Maria.
  • Carrie Underwood is not Julie Andrews. But really, is anybody? Queen Julie is an icon. Those are some seriously large shoes to fill. 
Ok, so Carrie is not a trained actor, nor does she claim to be one, but she was chosen to play the part and what was she going to say? No? I doubt anyone would say no to a role like that. I'm thinking that Carrie did her very best, being a singer and entertainer, at being an actor. At this point I would say that the acting was her biggest failure. Acting evidently does not come easy to her. Was she miscast? It's possible, but again, would you turn down the role if you got it? 

I think that Carrie did what they wanted her to do which was look and sound pretty. The production is at fault for more than just Underwood's acting chops. While there were highlights, there were far too many lowlights that I think people wanted to blame on Carrie. All I could think of is that could have been my baby girl Frick, and the pressure that preceded and followed the live performance must have been monumental.

How do you solve a problem like the haters? Haters gotta hate and hate they did. Social media blew up almost immediately with venom and mean, mostly directed at Underwood and I'm sorry but she wasn't the only problem here. Evidently the criticism got to Carrie because she responded in a classy way via social media and I give her kudos!


"Plain and simple: Mean people need Jesus," the singer tweeted on Friday, Dec. 6, a day after the live special. "They will be in my prayers tonight... 1 Peter 2:1-25," she added.




2 comments:

Scope said...

I didn't watch. I'm not a fan of hers or "The Sound of Music", so it wasn't a must see.

Not hating on anything, it just that it my interested level didn't even reach "meh".

the walking man said...

I didn't even know that it had already happened when i read this but I have seen a lot of unnecessary commentary about it.