Tuesday, December 3, 2013

A Little Nonsence Now And Then Is Relished By The Wisest Men



Today would have been my Dad's 85th Birthday.  He passed away when I was 23 years old on April 18th, 1990. While I'll never forget that day, today I choose to celebrate the man he was, and continues to be in my heart.

My Dad was special.

He was always the center of attention at any gathering and if you were in his prescence long enough, you were laughing. My Dad had a gift, which continues on in his children, most notably in his youngest son. He was funny. He was so funny that I remember thinking at his wake, when I noticed all in attendance smiling and laughing, "this is the way to go out".  Daddy was beloved by all who knew him. Nobody could command a room like him. Nobody could tell a joke like him and Eddie P, as he was known, is still remembered and missed.

As a child, I was always being sent out of the room when Daddy told "The Strawberry Joke", and for years I couldn't wait to be old enough to hear the joke. Turns out "The Strawberry Joke" wasn't even that funny. It wasn't the exact joke, per say, it was the way that Daddy told it. You were already in tears before the punch line was even uttered.

Today I celebrate him and all the funny men in my life: my brothers, my son, my nephews and My Guy, but most of all my Daddy. If it is true that laughter is the best medicine for anything that ails you, Dad had his Doctorate in humor.

Happy Birthday Daddy. I'm sure I can hear the Angels laughing up in heaven.

2 comments:

MarkD60 said...

Happy Birthday to your Dad.

Scope said...

A great day to celebrate!