So a family member is eating a sandwich the other day and notices a small, green spot on the bread of the sandwich.
Just one spot, not at all like the one pictured above. Ballistic is how I would categorize the reaction that took place. Gagging and spitting and screaming ensued.
My reaction? I laughed.
My family member didn't find the situation funny at all and began searching the Internet for proof that they had not just ingested a lethal poison.
"They make penicillin out of mold," I giggled. Again, the family member reiterated that my reaction was one of cruelty.
Seems mold is not lethal to ingest in small amounts. It's probably not advised and can sometimes cause stomach aches, but a little green dot on a piece of bread isn't going to kill anyone. Or is it? This got me to thinking.
Penicillium is more often than not the green mold that appears on store bought bread. Research says it isn't great because it risks killing off the good flora in your body and leaving the bad ones, but a small amount isn't going to make a difference one way or the other. Unless you are allergic to penicillin, which could kill you from anaphylactic shock.
We survived the great mold incident. Thank God no one got sick or went into shock, but somehow it turned out to be my fault. How could I let this happen?
My answer was simple.
When was the last time any of you bought a loaf of bread?...Silence.
Yeah, that's just what I thought.