Thursday, August 22, 2013

Snake Oil




So the strangest thing happened to me yesterday. A valued member of my inner circle told me that while out shopping, a woman working at the store, who she did not know, randomly asked her about her "friend who owns her own boutique". How did she know about this?, she was asked, to which she responded, "I'm a psychic." Without going into too much detail, it was confirmed that she was most probably referring to me. 

The "psychic/sales girl" produced her business card and informed my friend that she was available for home parties, of course, because life is sometimesone big sales pitch. Believe it or not, that's not the weird thing. The weird thing is that this swami/psychic/sales girl proceeded to tell my friend that the reason she asked about my business was that she wanted to tell me to get some....peppermint oil.

Peppermint oil?

She told my friend to tell me to put peppermint oil all over the top of my front door, on my body, on my wallet, in my bag and to carry it with me at all times. 

Really? Peppermint oil?

She said it brings money and good fortune. And before you ask, yes, I thought this to be very strange. But what I thought even stranger is that a couple of months ago, one of my BFF's gave me a bottle of peppermint oil as a gift....We had gone to Miami together in April and while we were on the plane she applied the pepperrmint oil to her neck. Being the complete product junkie that I am, I of course, inquired about the fresh smelling scent. My BFF told me that it relaxes the senses and that it's great for stress. I love any and all things peppermint, so I immediately applied it to my skin. I loved it and here's the thing...I have carried the roller ball bottle of peppermint oil in my bag ever since she gave it to me. 

Ok, so I know what you are thinking (I know you so well). She's a fraud, a Machiavellian scheister, a grifter and a swindler. It's highly possible and likely, but I'm not doing business with her. Heck, I didnt even meet her. Why did she bring up me? 

I'm a firm believer in psychic powers but I'm not stupid. I know how the grift works, but I also believe in messages from the universe and I can't help but think this is a message. Is the peppermint oils good, old fashioned snake oil? Probably. But what do I have to loose? 

So if you walk into The Candy Bar and detect the heavenly scent of peppermint. Smile. 
You'll know exactly the reason.

3 comments:

MarkD60 said...

Once, a girlfriend bought a gallon of peppermint soap. I got to love that stuff. Tingly!
Go get some peppermint oil

will said...

The psychic misspoke,, she meant to say, guzzle lots of peppermint schnapps.

the walking man said...

OK at one time Michigan was the largest producer of mint oils plants in the world. WWII killed off production (but we still rank because some of our plants can only be grown naturally in our climate). Point being look what has happened to this place since we no longer were able to put any of the essential oil on the door frame.