Tuesday, April 2, 2013

For Cry Eye


I've been slowly going blind. Seriously, over the past 2 years my eyesight has gotten worse and worse. I can't see anything up close at all, and forget reading a paper or a book. These days, to do any of that, I need my glasses. Of course, the more I use my glasses, the more I need them and I've considered using one of these thingies cuz I'm constantly searching for my glasses:


WTF???
I had a conversation with my brother on Sunday about this, he is 4 years older than I, and he told me it's just going to get worse. Great! I went to the eye doctor and we had a conversation about Lasik, which is not applicable for my needs. Great again! I have a very common, age related vision problem called presbyopia.

Which basically means that my eye lens has become less flexible. Which basically means that I can't read crap. Restaurant menus? Forget it. Good thing my iPhone has a flashlight because I use that all the time if the restaurant is dimly lit.

As time progresses, the condition will only become worse. Now, I don't mind wearing glasses. I think it's actually kind of fun, wearing funky specs to round out a style. What I don't like is the way my eyes feel, blurry and unfocused all the time. It's very unsettling. But what am I to do? Since presbyopia cannot be prevented, I guess I need to speak to my eye doctor about options.

Are there surgical options in my case and what are the risks and benefits? Believe me, this is not a vanity thing. As I said, glasses are fun and a great accessory. This is about my overall well being. Blurry vision is not fun and I don't like the way it makes me feel. Friends of mine have had Lasik and say that it was one of the best things they have ever done. Is there a procedure for Presbyopia that would garner results like lasik?

If so, where do I sign up?

Living in a clear world is much better than a cloudy one.


7 comments:

Heff said...

Welcome to my world.

MarkD60 said...

Me too. It's bad when you're aware your eyesight is bad. Normally someone can't tell. I can detect mine getting worse and worse.

Slyde said...

Apparently, presbyopia also makes you look ridiculously HOT....

Chris said...

My contacts are constantly wigging out on me . . . it's a drag, but 2000 per eye for Lasix is a bit steep.

I do like that librarian look you're developing, though.

SkylersDad said...

I had lasik about the mid 90's, and it was wonderful. Up until now, when old age is creeping in and I can't see shit close up!

Cora said...

Wednesday just had her eyes checked and we found out her vision is so bad now that she is legally blind.... or she would be if we lived in a world without glasses. Crazy.

Dr Zibbs said...

Mine just started getting bad. I have a few pair of reading glasses. And great picture!