Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Super Heavy Subject Matter





I read about this "Dream Team" new band today made up of an eclectic group of performers, some legendary, some not. They call themselves "Super Heavy", and I think they just may be super cool.


For the past two years, Mick Jagger, Joss Stone, Dave Stewart, Damien Marley, and AR Rahman, have been working on a secret album that drops this week. Super Heavy's debut album is said to be a "fusion" of unexpected musical styles from "reggae, to ballads to Indian songs in Urdu". With Jagger being draw enough for me, I'm curious to listen to their sound considering this unique collaboration of these artists.


Said to be Dave Stewart's brainchild, who got the inspiration from listening to different sound systems in his home all at once. He talked to friend Jagger and brain stormed how they could make a fusion of sounds. After six months of making calls, Stone, Marley, Rahman, Stuart and Jagger started banging it out in the studio. Admittedly not knowing "what the hell they were doing at first", Stuart explains that these jam sessions with the artists each contributing something of their own, slowly worked their way into songs.


An All Star Band? An interesting concept at best. But whether or not this new grouping actually touches and inspires fans is another thing completely.


So you be the judge. Check out the website at SuperHeavy.com
And check out their first single, Miracle Worker:

And Jagger still got his moves....


7 comments:

sybil law said...

I happen to like it, but the Supergroup stuff isn't a new concept. Still - I'm a sucker for some reggae influenced sounds, and Mick Jagger...

Anonymous said...

When will Mick do us all a favor and drop dead?

Scope said...

I've been a fan of Ms. Stone's since 2003's "The Soul Sessions." I think the combo of her and Mick should be interesting. A bit like Hef and his latest girlfriend, but better!

the walking man said...

since the Stones were the last R&R show I ever went to....way back about the time you were being born I guess I could listen to this project music. As long as jagger doesn't sing lead or dance.

MarkD60 said...

I liked it quite a bit.

Slyde said...

sounds cool... lets hope it turns out better for them than it did with the Travelling Willburys...

Cora said...

Y'know, I kinda like it. I think that could really grow on me.