Monday, September 29, 2008

Say NO to lies


Why do we lie? C'mon, you know you do it, we all do. Some people are master liars-they look you right in the eye and tell you a whopper, cool as a cuke, and bingo you've bought what they're selling. Then there are those who just can't lie very convincingly. It's possible that their body language completely deceives their words coupled with the fact that they are most likely uncomfortable that they are lying in the first place. I fall into the latter category. I have to admit, I am the world's worst liar. I just can't do it well and I always end up getting caught. My boyfriend says I am an easy read and I have no doubt that's why I end up in trouble. I don't like to lie. Which is why I hurt someone I love over the weekend. I tried miserably to lie my way out of a situation and I should have known better. I mean really, I am not a kid anymore. I foolishly chose to take the easy way out, the quick fix, and I ended up on the wrong side of the truth.

It was just a small lie, more like a little white lie, but I wonder if I had told a bigger lie or more lies strung together if I would have gotten away with it. And if I had gotten away with it, would I then enjoy lying? The thought of this scares me and makes me think I may need liars rehab before the situation becomes a problem. I could have kept on lying and told another lie to cover the first one and then another and another. Before I knew it I would be trying to score my next lie, doing anything to protect me from the truth and to keep the lie going. After a while I would need more and more lies just to get through the day, slipping further and further into the lie culture. My work would be affected, my family and friends watching me spin out of control all strung out on lies. I would be hanging out in "lie houses" and learning new ways to deceive people. I could be out telling lies just for the high and peddling lies to my friends to make a few extra bucks or worse, get hooked on a stronger strain of lies. There would be lie "binges" when I would disappear for days and track marks left around my mouth from shooting up lies and then there would be no turning back, the lies then sucking the life right out of me.

Lucky for me it didn't come to that. I decided to come clean and sober up with the truth. I'm glad I did and it wasn't as bad as I thought. My friend knew I was lying anyway. I guess lying just isn't for me and the good news is there will be no need for me to attend any meetings announcing, "My name is Candy and I'm a liar." Nope, I choose good, clean truthful living.

No comments: