Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Taco Bell


Tonight is taco night in our house.

The thing about taco night is you think about it all day long until the time comes to bite into the juicy, meaty concoction. Nothing says lovin' like a spicy, delicious taco. My kids love to stuff theirs with all their favorites and My Guy has come to like them too. 

We make two different kinds in our house: chicken and beef and we serve lots of delicious fixins'. I buy the Gordita Kit from Old El Paso and season the chicken from the recipe on the box. I may or may not add diced onion and use chicken broth instead of water when I cook the chicken. But when it comes to the taco meat, my kids like it just the way the taco Gods intended; plain and spicy. We always have two kinds of "shells": soft and hard. Frick likes hard shell and My Guy likes soft shell. I like to use a lettuce wrap for my "shell".

The toppers are crucial in my house. We dice tomato, (has to be super small) shred lettuce, and of course shredded Mexican cheese. We also crush nacho cheese Doritos to sprinkle on top, sour cream guacamole and salsa, and recently we discovered a spicy Chipotle Ranch dressing that is a fantastic taco topper and now a staple on our taco night. 

The last constant on our taco night is unconventional and started out as a bit of an accident, but it is always there. We make couscous. Sometimes the couscous goes on top of theTaco and sometimes it's a side dish, but it's a constant on our dinner table on taco night. It's a great way to get my family together at the dinner table, which is becoming increasingly difficult these days. For that, I am grateful.

Is it dinner time yet? Suddenly I'm really hungry. 



4 comments:

Verdant Earl said...

We make very simple Mexican-style street tacos for our taco nights. Soft corn tortillas (heated on the grill for a moment), ground meat with cumin, red pepper, chili powder and garlic, homemade pico de gallo, chopped red onion, fresh cilantro and a lime wedge. Maybe a dollop of sour cream. That's it. They taste soooo fresh and delicious.

Candy's daily Dandy said...

Earlsie! Yummy! Is it time for dinner yet?

the walking man said...

I was cool, seeing as I have been up since 1am, but dammit Candace now i want Mexican and there is no where open!

Anonymous said...

There's a serious joke in here somewhere....I'll just leave that alone.

For us it's homemade Pizza night on Friday nights. The kids get to make their own Pizzas with their own toppings. And yeah, hours at the table with no game controller in hand? Priceless.