Tuesday, February 4, 2014

NY-Seeee



So I was in New York yesterday, seeing my baby girl Frick and taking care of some business. While I was there, I experienced something I had never seen before. Snow in the City. Sounds like the title to a  bad HBO series, but it was quite a feat to behold. 

When I entered Penn Station on Sunday afternoon, the entire place was a see (sic) of color. I never saw so much blue and orange in my life. Denver fans to one side, Seattle fans on another and the orange and neon green wigs they were sporting were popping color all over the station. Once in the city, life returned to normal because by then everyone was safely ensconced in New Jersey. The best of all was the view from my hotel room where the Empire State Building was lit up in both neon green and neon orange. Too bad the game didn't live up to the hype. 

In the wee hours of Monday morning, about 4 am, Frick and I were awoken by some angry Denver fans who were taking out their anguish on the floor ice machine. The kicking and the screaming I'm sure, woke everyone on the floor up. But there was another sound in the wee hours of that morning...it was the sound of ice and snow hitting the window. That morning when I woke up I could see the rooftops of TriBeCa covered in white and whatever green trees around were covered with crystallized snow. For me, it was an amazing site. It was snowing pretty hard by the time I got on my way to work and all the majesty of the snow was lost. It turned into a slushy, black mess. 

NYC is not really conducive to snow, and that was evidenced by the traffic and slush that everyone tried to ignore. Yes it was a pain in the ass, but I have to say it was beautiful. And the snow continued all day, never tapering off, creating a huge inconvienience to all. Bonus for me, that it did not delay my train! The ride home was a spectacular site. The snow covered trees and rooftops proved to be a gorgeous distraction and it majesty, restored! 

In all the years I have been traveling to and from the city, I can't believe I have never seen snow in the city. It's kind of hard to believe. I actually had to see it to believe it.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

We're ready for more snow this week. The good thing about snow in NYC is that it tends to melt fast. But leaves ice in its wake.

Anonymous said...

Seeing it in the city at Christmas time is even more magical...

MarkD60 said...

In reality, everyone I talked to in person has been for Seattle, I did hear about some Denver fans on FB though.