Monday, April 13, 2020

Reinventing The Wheel

Lately I've been busy...

Like strange busy. While quarantining at home I thought I'd have all this time to do all the things I like to do, like read, blog, do laundry, etc. But I find that I don't have time because lately, I've been doing a lot of reinventing. Social distancing policies have forced me to reinvent how I do my business in the midst of a pandemic, but it's not just work. I find that I'm reinventing different things every day.

Text and FaceTime with my friends and loved ones are the new normal in touching base and letting people know you care thereby reinventing my social interaction. While It's easy to change from your day pajamas to your night pajamas, I choose not to, so I'm reinventing my daily look. I also haven't been loving the lunch that I used pack from home and more often than not and eat on the fly, so I've been reinventing cuisine around here daily. I've become the Rachel Ray in my house and the family dinners have been epic! I forgot how much I like to cook and that I'm good at it because I used to eat out almost Every. Single. Night. The refrigerator is jam-packed like never before, and I keep watch on the food and leftovers so that nothing goes to waste, ready to pounce when something has passed it prime. A TOTAL reinvention, since I used to be never home to notice.

Supermarket, pharmacy lists and filling on-line orders at my store have become spread sheet worthy tasks as necessities are rationed and carefully planned. Trips are shortened and far more productive and deliberate. When completed, I always to then return safely home and wash my hands thoroughly. No detours.

But this one's the shocker.
I've even reinvented my TV habits.
I have hardly watched Netflix, (except for Season 3 of Ozark-loved it!) or Bravo. CNN is my constant companion and its becoming the soundtrack to my quarantine days. Everything lately is a complete reinvention from whom I used to be.

And it's OK. Because although we've been forced to look at life differently in this historic moment in time, it's given me the opportunity to be more thoughtful, more aware and more careful about my choices. It's always been me-but the me who was on the fast track and probably a bit more quick and carefree doesn’t have the same options. It's not that I have really changed who I am, It's more like I've reinvented what and how I navigate through everyday life.

I'm still me. I’m still the same person I was before the pandemic. I just need to pivot and adapt to this strange thing that has hit us all, hard. So I count my blessings and forge ahead. I really don't need to reinvent the wheel.


2 comments:

Scope said...

Thanks for letting me know that you're back. I've considered re-starting Scope-Tech, too. FB is just, sigh, exhausting sometimes. Luckily, I'm able to do my job find from home. It's a little easier in the office when you can just walk over to someone's desk and come to an agreement quicker, but it's all good.

Cora and I really haven't experienced the "free time" others seem to have. We still have some shows on the DVR from months ago to watch, we haven't streamed anything new nor watched any of the DVDs that are unwatched form Christmases past.

But, everyone is healthy and that's the most important part.

the walking man said...

I can sort of relate to the whole re-invention thing Candace. I had to reinvent my entire life when I was forced to retire.

It was a permanent change--after this I think there will be the seeds of permanence sprouting. It will be interesting to see if society can actually implement them.

It is good to reevaluate every decade or so; doesn't matter if it a forced or a thoughtful reevaluation as long as it is done honestly.

Be Well my friend